Thursday 26 July 2012

A Trip to the Library

I'm ashamed to say it's been a while since I've gone to the library.  Technology has been taking over, as I've been using my kindle more, and the library now has a self-service desk!

Being the research nerd that I am, I researched some good, more challenging teen reads before I went.  I also checked online to see if my library had the books that I wanted, but it didn't have that many!

So, I ended up getting these four books:

The Lady in the Tower
I got this purely because of Jasmine's fantastic review!  I've never really read historic books before, so it's something different:)

'Spring 1540
I am afraid.  You are in grave danger.  Mother, will you run away with me if I can free you?
  The servants call it the Lady Tower: the isolated part of the castle where Eleanor's mother is imprisoned after a terrible accusation.  For four years Eleanor's only comfort has been their secret notes to one another.
  A chance discovery reveals a plot to murder her mother. Now Eleanor must free her before it is too late. But with danger and betrayal at every turn, she can trust no one. Not even her father.
  Eleanor must use all her cunning to survive. For she soon realises that it is not just her mother she needs to save... but also herself.'


The Lovely Bones
I've heard such good things about this book, and I've not read a good soppy book in a while:P

'My name was Salmon, like the fish; first name, Susie. I was fourteen when I was murdered on December 6, 1973.  My murderer was a man from our neighbourhood.
  Watching from her place in heaven, Susie Salmon sees her suburban family devastated by her death, isolated even from one another as they try to cope with their terrible loss alone.  Over the years, her friends and siblings grow up, fall in love, do all the things she never had the chance to do herself.  But life is not quite finished with Susie yet...'



Before I Fall
As it says on the cover, it's just as good as The Lovely Bones.  It's a double whammy with the sad books!

'They say to live every day as if it's the last - but you never actually think it's going to be.  You always think you'll have more time.

That's what I thought.  But I was wrong.

The thing is, you don't get to know when it happens.  you don't remember to tell your family that you love them or - in my case - remember to say goodbye to them at all.

What if, like me, you could live your last day over again?  Could you make it perfect?  If your whole life flashed before your eyes, would you have any regret?  Are there things you'd want to change?'


Withering Tights
I am embarrassed to say that I haven't read this yet!  I had to get a funny book to lighten the mood after some heartbreakingly sad books:)

'You know what it's like when you have your first snog, and it feels like a tiny bat is barging around in your mouth?
  Of course you do.  So you will love Tallulah Casey as she careers about in her tights.
  She's your kind of mate.'



2 comments:

  1. Great books! I have only read withering tights and it is hilarious, you will really enjoy it!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just finished The Lady in the Tower (I got the books on Monday), can't wait to read Withering Tights!xox

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a lovely comment! I read all of the comments, and I try to reply as soon as possible!